Queen Camilla’s plea to King Charles while fighting cancer as palace issue update: “Won’t do what he’s told”


Queen Camilla once shared insights into King Charles’ unwavering commitment to his royal duties, despite his ongoing battle with cancer.

Speaking at the second annual Queen’s Reading Room Festival at Hampton Court Palace in 2024, she admitted that while her husband is “doing fine,” he refuses to follow medical advice—or hers.

King Charles Refuses to Step Back Despite Health Concerns

King Charles was diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer in early 2024 following a procedure for an enlarged prostate. Though his condition was not prostate cancer, the diagnosis led to ongoing treatment and a reduction in public engagements.

However, the King has shown little willingness to ease his workload. Camilla acknowledged that he “won’t slow down and won’t do what he’s told.”

“Sounds to me like a typical husband,” author Lee Child quipped in response.

The Queen’s remarks align with what royal insiders and even Charles’ own family have observed.

Peter Phillips, the King’s nephew, previously told Sky News that Charles was “frustrated” by the slow pace of his recovery and was “pushing his staff” to allow him to resume full royal duties as soon as possible.

Lady Sophie Windsor also highlighted the King’s tireless work ethic, telling Tatler in 2024, “You see how he works all day long, has a quick supper, and then disappears until about 4am to write letters. He cares about so many things and comes up with brilliant solutions.”

Even Prince Harry once recalled his father falling asleep at his desk with paperwork stuck to his face.

A Relentless Schedule Despite Setbacks

This week, the King briefly stayed in the hospital due to temporary side effects from his treatment. Yet, he reportedly returned to Clarence House that same evening.

While a planned visit to Birmingham was cancelled and his schedule may be adjusted in the coming days, the King remains determined to fulfill his duties. He is still set to travel to Italy with Queen Camilla on April 7—his first overseas engagement of 2025.

Following in Queen Elizabeth II’s Footsteps

Royal editor Russell Myers recently noted in The Mirror that Charles seems to be following the late Queen Elizabeth II’s philosophy: “One must be seen to be believed.”

Reflecting on Charles’ international travels in 2024, Russell wrote, “I thought he may have bitten off a rather sizeable chunk travelling to Australia and Samoa last October. But after a dose of Aussie sun… he looked in his element.”

Despite his diagnosis, the King pressed on with his foreign tour in late 2024, even pausing treatment to complete the demanding itinerary.

His health challenges come during what Prince William has described as “the most brutal year,” as Princess Kate also revealed her own cancer battle just weeks after Charles’ diagnosis.

However, the King’s commitment to duty remains steadfast.

“He’s a great man, and I wish him well,” royal commentator Angela Levin posted after his recent hospital visit.

“Wishing King Charles a speedy recovery,” another supporter wrote. “Looking forward to seeing him out and about among his people.”


Like it? Share with your friends!